Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Ft McHenry

Thanks to Elizabeth's careful planning we swapped the days for the beach and Ft McHenry.  The beach was great and the weather was a huge part of it being so wonderful.  We knew we'd get some rain today so we opted for Ft McHenry because a lot of what's there to see is in the old buildings.

I encouraged Liz to stay home and get some rest that she needed and the rest of us went to see where Francis Scott Key penned The Star Spangled Banner.  It was the second time for the kids and I but I know that Mom and Dad enjoyed it.  Sitting in the room watching the little movie they've made about the history leading up to the "Dawn's early light" is very inspiring, and as they open the curtain during the National Anthem to see the flag waving in the wind is awesome.  Unfortunately because of the weather they had a much smaller flag  and it was hoisted a little late during the song but it was still neat to share it with my parents.  I know that J'Lene and Dallin also enjoyed the visit.

We took fruit and granola bars which were sufficient for the short trip and we made ourselves some lunch once we got back home.  It was a nice little day trip and we've saved some of the other things to do in Baltimore for a future trip.

I'm sure loving having my parents here.

No comments: