Thursday, December 11, 2014

The significance of December 11

On this date in my history I can think of some significant events.  There are a few events on this date that I've documented elsewhere and would need to revisit journals to recall.  Today however I will share a couple that come to mind.

On this day in 1972 my cousin Dawna was born.

On this day in 1992 I returned home from my mission.

On this day in 1993 I spoke at the mission farewell of a good friend who I ordained an Elder and conferred the Melchizedek Priesthood on.

On this day in 1996 I felt impressed to visit the Christus at Temple Square in Salt Lake City.  Once there I ran into a member from my mission who was struggling.  The opportunity I had to share my testimony buoyed them up and had significance.

Today I am reading 3 Nephi 11 on pace to finish the Book of Mormon before the end of the year.  A couple of months ago I felt impressed to embrace a challenge, that President Hinckley had issued at October Conference many years ago, to complete the Book of Mormon before the end of the year.  There were then, and are again now, many blessings that have come from applying this challenge.

Of course the 11th chapter of 3 Nephi is where Christ visits the inhabitants of ancient America and I thought of the visit to temple square and hearing the verse, "Behold, I am Jesus Christ...." and this reminded me of all the significant things that have happened on this particular day of the year.

Coincidence perhaps but it does not change the fact that I know God lives, the Jesus is his son and our redeemer.  That the gospel has been restored to the earth and the priesthood authority with it.

I know these things and many others pertaining to the kingdom of God without reservation.

Today my little Angel Miss Madelyn is singing in her Christmas Concert for 4th grade.  Carter and I will unfortunately miss this because we are in Arizona and Liz and Madelyn are in Maryland.  I've done my best to attend all of these things for my children and I am hopeful that missing this one will be the rare exception.  My Madelyn is the sweetest little girl I know.  She really takes after her mother.

No comments: